Did you know that there are several pet-safe ice melt options on the market?
If you’re like most pet owners, you may have not been aware that you had options for pet-friendly types of ice melt you could use around your home. If you have pets, it’s important to choose a safe and effective option that won’t harm them.
In this blog post, we’ll review the problems with common ice melt products, the benefits of pet-friendly options and take a look at some of the different types of pet-safe ice melt products available.
We hope this information will help you make an informed decision about which product is right for your needs.
Winter safety: The problem of snow and ice
The winter season brings a unique set of safety concerns due to the presence of snow and ice. In addition to hazardous driving conditions, snow and ice can cause people (and even pets) to slip and fall, which can lead to serious injuries or even death. It is important to take the necessary steps to ensure your safety, and the safety of your loved ones (including your pets), during winter months.
One of the most effective ways to reduce the risks associated with snow and ice is to use ice melt products. Ice melts are an effective way to remove and prevent snow and ice from building up on walkways, driveways, sidewalks, patios, decks, and other surfaces.
The problem with conventional salts and ice melts
While salt and ice melt products do a great job of keeping walkways clear of snow and ice, it’s difficult to keep pets from coming into contact with it. Pet owners usually have the benefit of wearing layers of warm clothing and shoes or boots, but our pets are usually walking around “barefoot”, even in the winter.
Many common ice melt products can irritate your pet's paws. Not only can this irritation be uncomfortable or even painful, but the irritation can cause pets to lick their paws, which causes them to ingest the ice melt products. To make matters worse, some pets may find they like the salty taste and may begin to ingest it on purpose.
According to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, pets who ingest these common salt and ice melt products may experience the following:
- Stomach upset
- Vomiting and diarrhea
- Increased sodium levels
- Mouth ulcers
The benefits of using pet-safe ice melts
In addition to keeping salts and ice melts out of reach of your pets, and wiping their paws after walking on treated surfaces, using ice melts that have been specifically formulated to be pet-safe is a great way to protect your pets from potential dangers.
Pet-safe ice melts use a gentle formula designed to effectively melt ice and snow without harming animals or damaging surfaces. These ice melts are less toxic than traditional ice melt products and won't irritate skin, eyes, or paws. Also, many pet-safe ice melts are also non-corrosive and won't damage concrete, asphalt, or other surfaces.
Using pet-safe ice melts is beneficial for your pets in several ways:
- They provide a safe way to protect animals from slipping on icy surfaces and reducing the risk of injury due to falls.
- Pet-safe ice melts contain ingredients that are less likely to irritate sensitive skin and won't cause dangerous reactions.
- Pet-safe ice melts help prevent ice buildup on surfaces and can make cleaning up ice and snow easier for both you and your pet.
Using pet-safe ice melts is the best way to protect your pets from hazards associated with ice and snow. With pet-safe ice melts, you can rest assured that your pet will be safe from the elements and have a safer winter season.
3 Pet-safe ice melt products to keep you and your pets safe this winter
- Fast-acting, pet-safe Paw Thaw works fast to break down the bond between ice and the surface below it.
- The non-hygroscopic formula is water soluble and odorless, so it’s less harmful to grass, trees and other vegetation.
- Because it doesn’t contain rock salt or calcium chloride like other melters, Paw Thaw won’t cause your pet’s paws to dry out and crack.
- The time-released formula stays on the surface area longer to control the freeze-thaw cycle, and there’s no sticky residue to adhere to paws, footwear, or carpets.
- Fast acting, long lasting formulation ice melt
- Requires less than competing ice melt for same desired effect
- Easier on the environment
- Easier on concrete, brick and wood
- Safer for pets
- Urea is a nitrogen-rich fertilizer, making it a plant and animal-safe ice melter
- However, Urea can only be used in limited temperatures up to 15 degrees Fahrenheit
- While generally safe for plants, too much Urea can burn plants
- Simply spread the Urea (10 lbs per 100 sq. ft.)